Hear easy methods to maintain an previous paint shade from displaying by way of, what to do about peeling paint on a bath and extra.
Overlaying Outdated Paint Coloration
A home-owner is making an attempt to color inside partitions, however the previous shade retains coming again.
“I’ve now put three coats of primer on the partitions, and the previous shade continues to be shining by way of!” they are saying. “Is there something I can do to cowl up that paint efficiently?”
There are just a few steps you possibly can take to attempt to enhance the protection of the primer:
Sand the partitions: Sanding the partitions will create a tough floor for the primer to stick to, which can enhance its protection. Remember to wipe down the partitions with a moist fabric to take away any mud after sanding.
Use a high-quality, high-adhesion primer: Some primers are particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces, reminiscent of shiny paint or oil-based paint. Utilizing a high-quality, high-adhesion primer might enhance the protection of the previous paint.
Be taught extra: How one can Select the Proper Sandpaper Grit for the Job
Use bonding primer: Bonding primer, often known as adhesion primer or glue primer, is a kind of primer that’s particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces. It’s designed to bond to surfaces which might be in any other case laborious for paint to stay to, reminiscent of shiny paint, metallic, or plastic. Remember to permit every coat to dry completely earlier than making use of the following.
Tint the primer: Any such primer has been blended with a small quantity of paint pigment to offer it a slight shade. Tinted primer can be utilized to assist cowl up darkish colours or imperfections on a floor, or to enhance the general look of the completed paint job.
If the paint continues to be displaying by way of, you could want to color the partitions a darkish shade to hide the previous paint.
Peeling Paint on a Tub
The paint is peeling like loopy in a brand new house owner’s bathtub.
She says, “It has been like this since they moved in, and we’re questioning if it’s okay to take all of it off.”
It’s usually not a good suggestion to take away the entire paint from a bath. If the paint is peeling, it’s seemingly that the underlying layer shouldn’t be properly adhered to the bathtub floor, which might trigger additional peeling and harm.
One choice is to take away unfastened and flaking paint utilizing a scraper or wire brush. Then, sand the floor to create a tough, porous floor for the brand new paint to stick to. The bathtub ought to then be completely cleaned and dried earlier than making use of a brand new coat of paint.
If the paint is in poor situation and can’t be salvaged, take away the entire paint and begin recent. Nevertheless, this generally is a time-consuming and labor-intensive course of. It’s additionally necessary to bear in mind that the underlying floor might not be in good situation.
Earlier than starting any work on the bathtub, it is very important defend your self and the encircling space. Put on protecting gear and canopy any close by surfaces with drop cloths.
Learn Portray a Bathtub? Right here’s What You Must Know for extra info.
In case you are not snug refinishing the bathtub by yourself, you could wish to think about hiring knowledgeable to refinish the bathtub for you.
Hearken to study the professionals and cons of tankless water heaters, easy methods to restore rotten soffit, easy methods to maintain snow from stepping into ridge vents and extra.
Execs and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
A home-owner is considering changing his customary water heater with an electrical tankless water heater and desires to know the professionals and cons.
Execs of tankless water heaters:
- They’ll present an countless provide of scorching water: As a result of tankless water heaters warmth water on demand, you’ll by no means run out of scorching water.
- They’re extra vitality environment friendly: Tankless water heaters solely warmth water while you want it, so that they’re extra vitality environment friendly than conventional tank water heaters. This can lead to vitality financial savings of as much as 40 %.
- They’ve an extended lifespan: Tankless water heaters have an extended lifespan than conventional tank water heaters as a result of they don’t have a tank that may rust or corrode.
- They’re extra compact: Tankless water heaters are rather more compact than conventional tank water heaters, making them a sensible choice for small houses or residences.
Cons of tankless water heaters:
- They’ve a better upfront price: Tankless water heaters have a better upfront price than conventional tank water heaters. Nevertheless, the vitality financial savings over time can offset this preliminary funding.
- They require extra upkeep: Tankless water heaters require extra frequent upkeep than conventional tank water heaters. This consists of cleansing the burners and changing the filter.
- They might not be appropriate for giant households: Tankless water heaters might not have the ability to present sufficient scorching water for giant households with a number of showers and home equipment operating concurrently.
- They might not be appropriate for houses with low water strain: Tankless water heaters require a sure minimal water stream charge to function successfully. If your private home has low water strain, a tankless water heater might not be a sensible choice.
Changing Rotten Soffits
A home-owner’s soffits are bowing downward and rotting. He asks: “I’m unsure what to switch them with. What do you recommend?”
It appears like you’ll have a difficulty with the structural integrity of your soffits. Bowing and rotting soffits generally is a signal of water harm or poor air flow. If the harm is in depth, it could be obligatory to switch the soffits solely.
There are a number of choices for changing soffits:
- Wooden: Wooden is a conventional materials for soffits, however it requires common portray or staining to take care of its look. It might additionally rot or develop into infested with pests if not correctly maintained.
- Vinyl: Vinyl soffits are low upkeep and resist rotting, however they could develop into brittle over time and may be liable to cracking in excessive temperatures.
- Aluminum: Aluminum soffits are sturdy and resist rust, however they are often liable to dents and should require periodic portray.
- Fiber cement: Fiber cement soffits are a dearer choice, however they’re extraordinarily sturdy and resist rotting, warping, and bug infestations.
Stopping Snow from Getting into Ridge Vents
Snow retains stepping into a house owner’s attic house by way of the ridge vents each time there’s a blizzard with sturdy winds.
He says, “There may be sufficient snow that I’ve to make use of a shovel to take away it. Snow gathers on the beam underneath the ridge vent the place gentle bulbs are affixed. How do I alleviate this drawback?”
There are just a few steps you possibly can take to stop snow from getting into your attic by way of the ridge vents:
- Set up snow guards: Snow guards are units which might be put in on the roof to stop snow and ice from sliding off and accumulating on the eaves.
- Set up warmth cables: Warmth cables, often known as roof de-icing cables, may be put in alongside the eaves and the ridge to stop snow and ice from accumulating. The cables use electrical energy to generate warmth, which melts the snow and ice on contact.
- Set up a snow fence: A snow fence is a bodily barrier that’s put in on the roof to dam the wind and forestall snow from blowing into the attic by way of the ridge vents.
- Insulate the attic: Correct insulation within the attic can assist stop snow from melting and refreezing on the eaves, which may trigger ice dams.
It might even be useful to have knowledgeable examine your roof to make sure that it’s correctly sealed and in good situation. If the snow is getting into by way of gaps or openings within the roof, these points will should be addressed to be able to stop future snow accumulation within the attic.
Finest New Merchandise
|Whether or not you have to retailer frozen meals, produce, or drinks, the Vissani convertible freezer/fridge can deal with all of it. Be taught extra >>|
Incorrect Measurement Wrench? No Downside! — What do you do when an open-end wrench is a bit too giant for the nut or bolt you’re making an attempt to loosen or tighten? This occurs when engaged on a metric fastener and also you’ve solely acquired a standard-size wrench or visa versa.
Properly, you’ll have heard of the trick of utilizing metallic washer or coin to fill the hole within the wrench. And whereas that does work — generally — right here’s a greater answer:
Place the too-large wrench onto the nut or bolt after which jam a slotted screwdriver into the hole between the fastener and wrench.
The wedge-shaped tip of the screwdriver tightens up the match and actually locks the wrench in place.
Watch: Do It! Hack Your Wrenches to Bust Nuts Free
Steam Clear Your Microwave Oven — Right here’s a straightforward, easy strategy to clear the within of your microwave oven:
- Pour a 50/50 answer of water and white vinegar right into a glass bowl.
- Set the bowl within the oven and microwave on excessive for a number of minutes.
- Fastidiously take away the bowl, then scrub the within of the oven with a scouring sponge. The steam created by the water and vinegar will loosen even essentially the most cussed, caked-on stains.
Watch: How one can Steam-Clear Your Microwave in Minutes
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
You probably have a remark, basic query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on As we speak’s Home-owner, please fill on this kind: