Yesterday, I shared my resolution on what I plan to do with the doorways within the again entry of the studio. In case you missed that, you possibly can learn out it right here. Since my thought is a bit more sophisticated than simply buying a quart of paint and portray just a few doorways, I’m giving myself time to determine precisely learn how to go about getting the look I need. So within the meantime, I made a decision to do some demolition on the studio half toilet to get it prepared for its new wallpaper.
However now I’m within the course of of constructing some adjustments in order that the toilet will movement higher with my new imaginative and prescient for my studio. I’ve already repainted the self-importance, painted the ground, and designed a brand new wallpaper that can go on the partitions. That wallpaper seems to be like this…
So when that is completed, the toilet will find yourself being each bit as colourful as it’s now, however I feel it’ll coordinate significantly better with what’s occurring in the primary a part of the studio.
Just a few weeks in the past, I made a decision to switch the yellow accent tile with a reed-type design utilizing dowel rods. I spent a whole lot of time eradicating the yellow tiles in half of the toilet, after which slicing and sanding items of dowel rods and gluing them to the wall.
That was a enjoyable venture, and I’d like to see it accomplished, however I made a decision that it simply wasn’t proper for this toilet. So final evening, I spend a while popping these off of the wall with a little bit 5-inch prybar.
I began out utilizing my warmth gun to melt the glue earlier than prying them off, however that turned out to be actually messy and sticky. I discovered that there was really no must warmth the glue earlier than eradicating the dowels. They popped off the wall fairly simply and cleanly with out the usage of the warmth gun.
The identical can’t be stated for the yellow tiles, although. The half of the room by which I had already taken the yellow tiles off of the partitions had three huge gouges within the drywall from me prying these tiles off of the wall. I didn’t trouble patching them earlier than gluing on the dowels, however now that my plans have modified, they usually’ll be lined by nothing however wallpaper or paint, I’ll should restore them.
So once I began eradicating the tiles from the opposite half of the room. I used the warmth gun. The tiles had been utilized to the wall utilizing Easy Mat adhesive sheets from House Depot. And let me inform ya, these issues are sticky! On the primary half of the room, I used to be utilizing a giant prybar and a hammer to get the tiles off of the wall, and people issues didn’t wish to come off. That’s why I left three huge gouges within the drywall.
However utilizing the warmth gun to take away them made issues a lot simpler. I used to be capable of get the second half of the tiles (and the sticky sheets) off of the partitions with no injury to the drywall.
It did peel off a whole lot of primer and paint from the drywall, which has left a whole lot of very uneven areas that can must be mudded over and sanded clean earlier than I can transfer on with paint and wallpaper, however that’s fairly easy.
Now that I’ve determined to take away the accent and chair rail, I’ll be capable to have a full apron on the window trim. As a result of the chair rail got here up so excessive, I’ve had this tiny little 1-inch apron sandwiched between the window sill and the chair rail all these years. That’s a kind of issues that actually irritated me, however I didn’t actually have some other selection if I needed a chair rail.
However now that the chair rail is gone, there will likely be loads of room for a full apron. It’ll look so significantly better!
The trim across the mirror, which was carried out precisely just like the window and door trim, was additionally lacking an apron.
Despite the fact that there will likely be loads of room for an apron now, I’ve determined to take away it utterly and discover a good framed mirror to make use of on this room as a substitute.
After I did this toilet (and the hallway toilet) years in the past, I liked the concept of framing out the mirrors to match the home windows and doorways. However I’m prepared to maneuver previous that look now. I wish to maintain the window and door trim on the home windows and doorways, after which take the chance to usher in a little bit additional one thing with the mirrors.
Sadly, I glued this mirror on to the wall, so I’m certain getting it off will trigger some injury that can want restore.
So issues on this toilet appear like a whole mess proper now, however it has to worsen earlier than it will get higher. I’m very glad it’s a tiny toilet, so despite the fact that the partitions will want some restore earlier than I can wallpaper, not less than I don’t have a whole lot of space to cowl. I’m simply actually excited to lastly get the wallpaper on the partitions! I’ve had the wallpaper for weeks, and I’m able to see some progress on it.
Addicted 2 Adorning is the place I share my DIY and adorning journey as I rework and adorn the 1948 fixer higher that my husband, Matt, and I purchased in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do bodily work, so I do nearly all of the work on the home on my own. You’ll be able to study extra about me right here.